Thursday, October 22, 2015

Billions in Change



Billions in Change: Manoj Bhargava


My goal this morning was to read an article for the Instructional Technology for Leaders course I'm currently enrolled in at Lewis & Clark College. I found myself distracted by a video my engineering instructor has been encouraging me to watch. His email with the link has been taunting me. Like many students, I chose to watch the video instead of addressing my homework. Hopefully my instructor will forgive me. One of our hopes for the students at the Clackamas Academy of Industrial Sciences is to develop graduates like Manoj and his colleagues. Graduates who are innovative in a way that serves and solves the huge problems our world is facing. I'm attracted to stories like Manoj's because it gives us hints on how to prepare the innovators of tomorrow. As educators, we are often listening to the experts, people Manoj describes as people who know everything about the past, to learn about best practices and better a system that is outdated. Our preparation lends itself to getting students into college. To preparing them in the way we have in the past… only more effectively. We are not often looking ahead for "next practices"that push us to prepare students to solve the problems of their future. I believe we need to know yesterday's best practices about how people learn, but spend much more energy searching out and finding tomorrow's next practices. Watch the video. Comment on what hints you think Manoj is providing us in how to prepare tomorrow's innovators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment