Saturday, October 24, 2015

What do we want kids to do with technology?


The above picture was shared with my classmates in Leading with Instructional Technology this morning. When I initially read the list, I immediately connected with the "right answers", but realize the reality in most educational settings is technology is often used as something to be taught, an outcome, but not a tool students can use to learn, present and create. I wrote in an earlier post related to maker spaces in ELA and social studies classrooms that I believe the reason we don't have students using these tools is the reluctance of educators to put them in their hands. Instructors feel they need to  be an expert or at least knowledgable about the tool. Our students are natives and most instructors are not. I understand the feeling of not wanting to hand technology to our students without some knowledge, but I believe we need to in order to engage them and assess what they are truly capable of doing we must. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. It's a risky proposition to be sure, but roll it out slowly and in a contained model. I'm a huge supporter of "lab" schools--where innovation can be conceived, tried, and learned from. I spent the day today at an EdTech event that reinforced the idea of failing is learning. And really, failing isn't the right word. It's the trial and error, embracing the process, testing/learning/rethinking/retesting cycle. It's what we all do when we do everyday things anyway. Let's embrace that and more forward with change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to mention, too, that I think your school in OC is as purpose-built for this kind of environment, don't you think? Your context more than most in a traditional school setting is ripe for innovation. I'm anxious to watch what happens in the coming months and years. Would love to stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I try to help administrators learn the tech skills they need to successfully implement adaptive change, I, too, find myself on the left side of the illustration. It's a means to an end. My predecessor was unwilling to take time to teach foundational tech skills when he rolled out an initiative that was tech heavy. As a result, the initiative started to lose momentum and staff were sabotaging the initiative. The last two weeks, I scheduled mandatory trainings for this group and feedback was very positive about learning the discrete skills so they could do the big picture stuff. You're on the cutting edge, Kyle. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete